Oh, Grrr.

So, the plan for today was to head out after lunch and buy taller fenceposts for the chicken yard. We had 4' posts (which we heard were tall enough, since their wings were clipped), but we wanted to add a little extra just in case.

Before we sat down to eat, we threw in a bunch of table scraps. The hens were LOVING pecking around in breadcrumbs and produce bits.

When lunch was over, we ran out to check on them. The chickens were GONE. Betsy (the golden retriever) had been wanting to get to know them before lunch, and we think she tried to go make friends while we were eating.

I knew she wouldn't hurt them, just try to snuggle and play with them... so I was 99% sure they went into the woods. They love to scratch and peck, so this was just a logical choice.

Unfortunately, this time of year, our woods is poison ivy mecca. I'm super allergic to it, so, I put on jeans, rubber boots, an anorak, and gloves trying to protect myself. 'Grabbed the butterfly net and some food. 'Started traipsing carefully, trying to avoid rattlesnakes hiding behind fallen logs.

I found one black hen just inside the edge of the woods. 'Shook the box of food. She was interested, but wouldn't let me near her. So far, I can't find the other two.

Chased the one hen into the woods far enough to smack myself HARD in the face and hair with a massive poison ivy branch. You have seven minutes to wash it off with soap, right? So, I started weaving my way back toward the house as fast as the terrain would let me. Changed clothes. Washed face. Washed hair.

I could see the humor in all of this, if it weren't happening to me. I've been aching for wilderness and all that. So, Dreamer, you want untamed beauty? Here you go. Have at it. Waterfalls. Majestic skies. Loamy earth. Chickens that run away. Weeds that make your face swell shut. Rattlesnakes.

Sigh.

Quote from Martin Luther on the outside of the church bulletin today:

“The Kingdom is to be in the midst of your enemies. And he who will not suffer this does not want to be of the Kingdom of Christ; he wants to be among friends, to sit among roses and lilies, not with the bad people but the devout people, O you blasphemers and betrayers of Christ! If Christ had done what you are doing who would ever have been spared?” (Life Together pp. 17-18)

It seems like the context here is comparing two different types of community (enemies v. devout), instead of comparing solitude with community. And heck, to be frank, I'd prefer domestic privacy either way.

However, this quote still struck me pretty hard. Especially this one part: "If Christ had done what you are doing..." He chose to live somewhere uncomfortable.

I still don't know how this fits into our next house search. I'd especially like to know how the discipline of solitude and nuances in spiritual temperament jive with obedience. But some important questions are starting to come to the surface, at least.

#1. What if Christ had done what I am doing?

P.S. If my eyes swell shut, I won't be posting tomorrow.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Welcome to our family’s adoption journey. As you read, you will see us stumble and take wrong paths. You will see our hopes surge and fall. You will see the gaps in our humanity, and how our God realigns us to His purposes over and again. We think the messiness of this process is important. Sometimes walking with God isn’t a neat, linear package that can be summarized in bullet points. More often, life ebbs and flows around our plans, while God works His sovereign wonders from it all. We are learning so much through this journey. And we are super excited about our new son. If you’d like to join us, we’d love to have you along for the ride.
Fan of kevinandamanda.com! Free Fonts. Recipes. Scrapbooking. Photography. Blog Design. Tutorials. Giveaway. Everything you're into!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP