Beautiful Love



Information is limited when you are adopting internationally, so most adoptive parents spend time Googling, trying to find photos of their child that other parents have taken. It had been a while since I had done this, so yesterday I went on a hunt.

The photos I found were moving. Apparently Moses' facility has changed, and he now has a playground and some toys. It was SO good to see his smiling face playing outside.

My favorite photo, however, showed him sitting on a bed with his arm around another little boy in his orphanage. It looks like his friend (the boy in the red shirt) has Down's Syndrome.

There are several reasons why this photo means so much to me. First, I love the ease of his affection. There is quite a bit of emotional damage that can happen in group care. Children often suffer physiological damage from a lack of physical touch. They don't want to be touched or held as a result, and they tense up whenever human contact is made. So, to see him just sitting there, casually loving his buddy makes me want to shout! Another prayer answered!!

Secondly, I love how Moses has been exposed to love without prejudice. As I searched, I found photos of a child living in his facility who was disfigured grotesquely by burns. There are kids who are crippled. And there are kids like the child in this photo who have extra mental challenges.



Living in my comfortable, American home, Moses would have been distanced from these children. He might have learned to flinch when exposed to deformity and need, because those things just aren't a part of my daily life. But because of the past God has given him, Moses has already been taught to accept and love people where they are. He's learned to move into broken lives, and put his arm around his brother. I'm so thankful for that.

I'm praying that God will preserve this trait in his heart. And I'm praying that it will rub off on the rest of us as well.

Anonymous –   – (June 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM)  

Oh Rebecca!! So beautiful! I haven't been able to find any pics of Grace. We got our initial approval today.
Hannah

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Welcome to our family’s adoption journey. As you read, you will see us stumble and take wrong paths. You will see our hopes surge and fall. You will see the gaps in our humanity, and how our God realigns us to His purposes over and again. We think the messiness of this process is important. Sometimes walking with God isn’t a neat, linear package that can be summarized in bullet points. More often, life ebbs and flows around our plans, while God works His sovereign wonders from it all. We are learning so much through this journey. And we are super excited about our new son. If you’d like to join us, we’d love to have you along for the ride.
Fan of kevinandamanda.com! Free Fonts. Recipes. Scrapbooking. Photography. Blog Design. Tutorials. Giveaway. Everything you're into!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP